• Short Term & Annual Policies for Learners

  • Comprehensive Cover – Certificate Emailed Instantly

  • Cover for Practising in Someone Else’s Car

  • Insurance for Learning to Drive in Your Own Car

girl driving car

Who is it for?

Insurance for learning to drive in a borrowed car

You can now cover yourself to learn to drive in your parent’s or a friend’s car – without the hassle of going through their insurance or affecting their policy.

You can also decide how many days you want to be covered for. Practice as much as you want to. Buy again if you need to.

Young girl learning how to drive
Young guy learning how to drive

Insurance for learning to drive in your own car

Been searching for ages to find an insurer who’ll cover a learner driver, in their own car, at a fair price?

Search no more, our owner policies are exclusive to learner drivers, and it’s the only policy you’ll need! We even offer annual policies for owners to be covered up to a whole year.

How it works?

  • Payment Icon

    Get a quote in 30 seconds

    Just a few simple questions required.

  • Enter licence details

    Confirm licence number & address

  • Payment Icon

    Confirm payment

    Review your price and pay by card online

  • documents icon

    Download documents

    Insurance documents instantly emailed

  • drive Icon

    Get learning to drive!

    That’s it! You’re covered to start learning

  • learner icon

    Enter licence details

    Confirm licence number & address

  • documents icon

    Download documents

    Insurance documents instantly emailed

why Learner Driver Insurance?

flexible learner insurance for owners and non-owners

Guy in meeting holding tablet
  • We hold an excellent rating on our official Trustpilot page from thousands of customer reviews.

  • We offer flexible periods of cover because we want to make driving practice accessible as possible.

  • No more never-ending phone calls to insurers, you can purchase cover in minutes with us.

  • We are constantly reviewing our rates to stay competitive in learner insurance.


  • How does learner driver insurance work?

    A learner driver will often look to learn in a borrowed car, or one they own themselves. Learner driver insurance can cover both these options, but the way the cover works is slightly different for each case.

    When the learner uses a borrowed car, the learner policy acts as a separate independent insurance just covering the learner driver when they are driving. The car must already be insured by its owner under a separate annual policy for when the owner uses the car. The advantage of this type of policy is that the owner avoids risking the No Claims Bonus earned under their own policy, as a claim originating from when the learner is driving will be made under this learner policy instead.

    We also provide both short-term and annual insurance for learners who will be learning to drive in their own car. In these scenarios, this would be the only active insurance policy required on the car.

  • Does the car have to be insured elsewhere?

    Learning in a Borrowed Car – 'Yes' and the vehicle must remain insured for the duration of the policy.

    Learning in your Own Car – 'No' if the car is owned and registered in your name, this is the only policy you require to be legally insured on the road.

  • If I’m borrowing a car and have a claim, will it affect the owners no claims bonus?

    No. Our 'learner driver with a borrowed car' policies are a separate policy to cover the learner driver only. The claim would come under this policy only, not the owner's policy. So in this scenario, this will not affect the No Claims Bonus of the owner of the car in the result of a claim.

  • Who can supervise me?

    For our insurance cover, the criteria is slightly more than the legal requirements when it comes to an accompanying driver or supervising driver with the learner. As we offer cover from several insurance companies, the requirements change slightly depending which policy you opt for.

    KGM: 1-6 Days Policies

    The requirement with KGM is the following.

    The supervising driver must;

    • be aged 25 or over
    • hold a valid Full UK Driving Licence for over 3 years (without any DR coded convictions within the last 5 years)
    • be a UK resident for over 2 years

    Markerstudy: 7-140 Days Policies

    The requirement with Markerstudy is the following.

    The supervising driver must;

    • be aged 25 and under 72 years of age
    • hold a valid Full UK driving licence for the past three years or more

  • Do you offer cover for anyone over the age of 30?

    Unfortunately, we do not provide cover for learners over the age of 30. We offer borrowed car policies to learners aged 17-30. We offer owner policies to learners aged 17-25.

  • Am I eligible for this policy?

    We have a different set of criteria for each of our policies. Please click the links below for each policy's set criteria.
    Borrowed learner policy acceptance criteria
    Owner learner policy acceptance criteria
    Annual learner policy acceptance criteria

  • Can anyone else drive the car using this policy?

    Our policies cover the learner driver to drive the car only. We cannot provide additional driver cover for parents or supervising drivers. If they want to cover themselves to drive separately, they can take out a temporary policy through www.skyinsurance.co.uk/compare


  • What is covered with this insurance?

    All our learner policies offer a comprehensive level of cover, which covers damage to the car you are driving, as well as any third party, if you are involved in an accident.

  • What is the excess on your policies?

    Our 'Learner in a Borrowed Car' policies have a standard policy excess of £500. The 'Learner in Own Car' policies have a standard policy excess of £750.

    Our learner insurance policies are sold packaged with an Excess Reduction policy, which means you can claim back part of the excess, reducing the level of excess you will be 'out of pocket' for, this will be referenced in the quote.

  • Will this insurance cover me for the driving test?

    Yes, these policies cover you whilst taking your driving test, provided the Driving Test occurs during the cover period. The DVSA Driving Examiner is treated as the 'accompanying driver' during the test and that is acceptable on these policies.

  • Can I make changes to the details on my policy?

    Due to the short-term nature of these policies, once payment has been authorised you are unable to make any changes or alterations to the information you have originally provided.

  • I don’t need the insurance anymore; can I get a refund?

    If your policy is less than a month in duration

    Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds for any "unused" periods of insurance on policies that run for less than a month. If you wish you cancel your policy, we can do that, however, we can’t offer a refund.

    If you have a policy that runs longer than a month in duration:

    If less than 14 days has passed since you received your policy documentation and you haven’t made a claim, you have the right to cancel and receive a refund of the unexpired period of insurance. However, please note an administration charge of at least £100 will apply.

  • How can I contact you?

    We have a live chat facility on the website which offers support from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. We are open between 9am-1pm on Saturdays.

    Email: [email protected]

    Please note we cannot take payments over the phone.